Friday, January 21, 2011

Favorite Things Friday: Finding the ONE

Yes, my husband, my one and only, definitely qualifies as a favorite thing, but he is not the ONE we'll be discussing today...

Several friends have asked me for advice about how to start running. Now, being that I am quite the newbie myself, I am certainly no expert. However, there is one piece of very important advice that I have for anyone who is or wants to be a runner: find the right shoe FOR YOU! You are a wonderful, unique creation, my friend, and your running style and gait are just as unique. The shoe that is right for me may be very different than the one for you. So although I have found a shoe that I love, I don't necessarily recommend that one for you, but I do highly suggest that you go through the process of being fitted for that perfect shoe.

It's not always easy finding a sole-mate (HA!). Let me tell you a little something you might not know about me. I like stuff, especially clothes, shoes, etc., but I do not like to pay a lot for my stuff. When I was prepping for my first month of boot camp, I found some cheap shoes at T.J. Maxx that felt pretty comfy in the store. Big mistake! As I started to have problems with my knees, I decided I'd try some different shoes. Long story short, I went through another "cheap" pair before I decided to be fitted, bite the bullet, and pay the dough for a good shoe. I started off in one type of shoe, and then as I lost weight and ran more, I had another analysis done and switched to a different type.

I went to Big Peach Running Co., and they were so fabulously helpful! They do a video gait analysis as you run on a treadmill, as well as a foot scan, and then they bring out different shoes in the category that is best for you. The best part is that they encourage you to try the shoes before you buy them. If you're an outdoor runner, you can go outside and run! I love that!

I have now found my ONE perfect shoe, and it has made a world of difference for me! This is my ONE...
Mizuno Wave Rider 13. (*Note: This is not my actual shoe. Mine are just a bit more worn than these. Hmmm... maybe an upgrade soon? There is now a Wave Rider 14, and it comes in a purty black/purple combo which I love, if anyone needs an idea for a birthday gift.)
Listen to me, people. Go out and find your sole-mate! You will not be sorry!

1 comment:

  1. I love Big Peach! I found my ONE perfect shoe at the Alpharetta location. I'm looking forward to reading about your journey this year and as we complete out mileage for the Tall Mom 1000+++ challenge! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete