Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Welcome to My Story

Before: March, 2010 and May, 2010

After: November/December 2010
I know... The "after" pics are bigger. I was gonna change that, but, hey, I like them better, so I decided to leave it. :)

Well, here I am in Blogland. I sure hope some of you will join me here from time to time. I'd like to start by sharing a bit of my story and some of the reasons I decided to embark on this bloggy adventure.

Sometime in 2009 I decided I was really tired of being overweight and unhealthy, and I wanted to do something about it. It was time to really get fit and change my life, not just lose some pounds with a temporary diet. So this girl, who's always been quite the night owl, joined a boot camp that met at 5:15 AM. Crazy... both the AM thing and the whole me-in-a-boot-camp idea. Yeah, crazy... 3 weeks into my original boot camp experience, I learned that my littlest munchkin would be joining us. That, my friends, was a long-awaited answer to prayer! As you can imagine, though, the whole pregnancy eat-more-you're-eating-for-two thing, along with the I'm-too-fat-and-tired-to-move-at-the-end-of-the-day feelings resulted in quite the setback in the fitness department.

8 weeks after my littlest miracle was born, I laced up my sneakers, put on some plus-size workout clothes, and set my alarm (oh, who am I kidding? You don't need an alarm when you never sleep! 8 week old baby! Hello!) for my return to boot camp. And, you know what? It was hard, but I did it! And everyday I was so glad I took that early-morning time out for me. I struggled with tendonitis and such at first, but before I knew it, I could run a mile without stopping.

As my clothes got looser and exercising got easier, I definitely caught the bug. In May, when my baby was just 3 months old, I ran my first 5k. I was slow, but I did it - something I never thought I could do. A couple of months later, I signed up for a half marathon (all the while screaming in terror inside!) and started training. Every week I was running more miles than I ever had in my life, and every week I somehow made it. I ran a 10k; I ran a 15k. On October 30, 2010 I crossed the finish line of my first half marathon. I even celebrated the next day by signing up to run another one on Thanksgiving! I know! Crazy!

So I'm entering 2011 50 pounds lighter and in the best shape of my life. I still have a lot to accomplish. Don't we all? I have new goals now, and I know I can accomplish them. Yes, I'm slow, but I'm a runner. I still struggle to even call myself that, to call myself fit. It just doesn't "fit" with what I've told myself and seen in the mirror my entire life. I know it's true, though, and I'm learning to embrace it.
I cannot even begin to tell you how important the people around me have been on this journey! My amazing husband has cheered me on and taken extra daddy duty countless times; my oldest munchkin runs to greet me and asks me how I did when he knows I've run a "longest-ever" distance. They all show up at races with big smiles, loud cheers, and hugs at the finish. My friends at Operation Boot Camp and in my running group are the reason I ever believed I could be a runner, and they continue to encourage me to set and accomplish new goals. And God has given me a healthy body, a wonderful family, and the strength I need to become the best possible me.

I am so very thankful, and this is why I run. I run and workout so I am the best, healthiest, most energetic wife, mom, friend, sister, daughter, instructor, teacher, church member, and Christian I can possibly be. And the journey continues...

2 comments:

  1. Yea! Love it. And I'm a follower. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great first post to your new blog! Yay Lisa!!!! You are inspiring!

    ReplyDelete